Thank goodness everything feels like it's getting back to normal - now all we want is for the weather to be better. It's become quite mild, but is also cloudy and very dull with a lot of rain and wind (yesterday's weather) - today there's apparently a few sunny spells forecast, not that you can tell right now. The next week ahead is very mixed - showers, wind, some sun, one of those weeks when the weather can't make up its mind.
Over the Christmas period when I wasn't well, I didn't eat much in the way of regular healthy meals - it was more carb-laden stuff - sandwiches, cheese on toast, pizza, sausage rolls, crisps, chips - because that's what I fancied. Carbs do me no good at all.....I feel bloated, sluggish and achey. But we have a lot of carby frozen food to use up still - homemade pies, tarts, sausage rolls, bread and rolls, pasta bakes, roasted root veg and root mash. We've got to eat it, throwing food away nowadays is not an option. And the big upright freezer in the utility room is in dire need of defrosting, especially the top 2 drawers, they're very iced up. So we need to eat through whatever's in there pretty quick.
I guess the best thing I can do is try to eat just one carb-heavy meal out of the freezer per day, and make breakfast (if I eat it) and lunch very low carb. Husband could eat something carby for lunch, carbs don't affect him like they do me. Today we'll be going shopping for green veg, salad veg, fruit and Greek yogurt, we don't need anything else. I'm really craving some fresh veg.
Husband was saying the other day that when Betty dies (charming subject!!) we won't get another dog....hmm, we'll see about that! I pointed out that if we didn't have a dog, he certainly wouldn't be going out for walks twice a day - he's been told by his cardiologist that he must exercise, I need to as well, but my painful hips make that difficult right now. We both know we each need more exercise, hopefully when the weather is better we'll start walking more - I don't do walking in bad weather.
It is so easy to look at the weather and decide to stay in on wet days, so a dog is great for getting you out, we have often discussed getting a dog, but we are away alot, visiting family and a dog would not be able to travel with us, so we stick to our 2 cats.
ReplyDeleteWould some of your neighbours have room for your freezer food while you defrost? Or, I find that if I take out all the food, put it somewhere relatively cold and cover it well and do an active defrost (kettles, hair dryer (being VERY careful) or warm air heaters (ditto), it can be done before the food even thinks about starting to defrost.
ReplyDeleteThen you don't have to eat all the food so quickly.
I know what you mean about carby stuff. I find the wholewheat carbs are better, don't bloat so much and - er - help in other ways too. :-)
I don't like to walk in bad weather either. xx
I know what you mean about carb heavy meals. I feel very sluggish today after a day of bread, bread, pastry and more bread! But cold, damp grey days seem to call for these comfort foods. It's much easier to eat fresh fruit and veg and salads when the sun's shining. And ditto walking. It's not much fun having to wrap up like Michelin man just to go for a walk. Roll on Spring! xx
ReplyDeleteWe got a labrador pup last April, he's a year old next month. Although we found the puppy stage hard work at times, he's grown into a great dog and definitely keeps up active. I walk him on week days, every morning through fields for nearly 2hrs. Husband does weekends. Sometimes I don't really feel like it, but once we're off it feels much better and since I started I've lost some weight, which is a bonus.
ReplyDeleteYou could maybe compromise and maybe get an older, smaller rescue dog that either of you can walk once you don't have Betty. Sometimes the 'dog dying' conversation is one that you just have to have. We have thought about it a lot recently as all our three furries are of a similar age, and the dogs both have health worries. Although cats do usually live a bit longer than small dogs even though he is the eldest. I just can't imagine life without them at the moment.
ReplyDeleteWe have been eating some carb heavy meals as well. One does what needs to be done.
ReplyDeleteHow old is Betty?
God bless.
Betty is 6. Hopefully she's got several more healthy years ahead of her.
Delete