I've got quite a lot of leftovers - gammon, cheeses, veggies - so am using them up as best I can. I also had a few things in the spare fridge in the utility room which needed using quickly, two of which were already out of date - a carton of Greek yogurt and a ready-rolled sheet of puff pastry. Examined and smelt both of them and they were fine. An unopened wedge of Brie had a use-by date of today - it too was fine, although oozingly ripe. So it's a cooking day. We had a swede and a bag of carrots that were going a bit soft and limp, so I got husband on those - he peeled, chopped and cooked them together, then added herbs, seasoning and a bit of butter and mashed them. I'll portion it up when cold and freeze.
The gammon left over was quite a big lump - husband had some as a roast dinner yesterday, I had homemade nut roast with my veggies. I got him to slice up enough ham for lunchtime sandwiches for him to have for the next 3 days. I shredded some to make a puff pastry open tart with - spread cranberry sauce on the out-of-date pastry sheet, scattered over the ham shreds, halved a load of going-soft baby plum tomatoes and put those on, then cut up the Brie as best I could and put that on top. A little sprinkle of grated Cheddar and baked, that'll be dinner tonight with some veggies left from yesterday. The rest of the tart will be frozen. I got husband to dice up the rest of the ham and split it into 3 bags to freeze - it'll do him for a ham, leek and mushroom pie (his request), a pasta bake and a risotto.
I bought 4 jars of mincemeat on Saturday, all reduced to 50p. I've used half of one of the jars this morning to make mincemeat scones, which also used up half of the carton of yogurt. I always use yogurt for scones, it makes them nice and light. The other half I'll have for breakfast tomorrow with some stewed apple - we've still got loads of homegrown apples in a box in the cold utility room. I'll mix the other half of the open mincemeat jar with some sliced apples to make a crumble to freeze for husband.
So that's most of the leftovers used up and dealt with, although I did have to throw away a piece of Stilton - it had got pushed to the back of the spare fridge and forgotten about (the pack had already been opened). It had gone slimy and very strong-smelling, I didn't want to take any chances with it so it had to go.
I've done similar things to our leftovers. I have some phyllo dough and might see if I can do some sort of tart with that. You have me good ideas.
ReplyDeleteIt all sounds great. I've just finished grating an overabundance of cheddar and it's now in the freezer. It'll get used in measured amounts and, already grated, will save cooking time as well as nibbling naughty bit that fell off. :-)
ReplyDeleteGood move with the Stilton!
xx
We rarely have leftovers - too greedy, I guess! It always amazes me when I see reports of all the food that people throw away each week. They must have more money than sense. I've never tried mincemeat scones - they sound yummy.😋 xx
ReplyDeleteSounds as if you got all those leftovers under control. Good for you. I need to get a few things prepared yet. I would have tossed the cheese as well.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year.
God bless.
You amaze me…
ReplyDeleteAnother one of your sensational sounding meals and more !
ReplyDeleteYum. That open tart sounds gorgeous. We don't have much in the way of leftovers this year and I'm gradually working my way through our food store. No shopping needed here for quite some time.
ReplyDelete