Followers

Sunday 18 August 2024

Going down rapidly

 The freezer is emptying out rapidly now - this morning I've got out a tub of cauli/broccoli cheese I made last week, we'll have it for dinner today, along with some of next door's frozen runner beans.  A chicken leg for husband for today, and some drumsticks and 3 leftover (uncooked) sausages - I'll cook the drumsticks and sausages tomorrow morning, they'll do husband for lunches for 3 days.  There are some salmon and cod fillets left in the freezer, along with a couple of battered haddock portions and half a pack of fish fingers, so it'll be a fishy week (lovely, I adore fish, husband likes it too).  Half a bag of frozen chips and the same of spicy wedges, frozen peas and the little bit of spinach.  A couple of cartons of milk each, and some dog food, and that's it, it'll definitely be empty by the end of next weekend.

We're also having home grown carrots and spuds today....husband's now gone out to get them, having been asked 3 times now πŸ˜’.  He complained he was busy (playing chess on his computer!) and why did I want them now when we won't be having dinner until around 5 pm?  As I've told him umpteen times, I like to get all my jobs done in the mornings, as my energy levels drop significantly come the afternoon.

Today's spuds will be the last of our 5 bags of them, they did quite well, we shall be growing them again in bags next year.  There are probably 3, maybe 4 meals' worth of carrots left, so they'll all be eaten this coming week.  Home grown carrots are so tasty, compared to supermarket ones which taste and smell of nothing.  Our tomatoes are just beginning to ripen.....just when we're about to go away in the caravan for a week or 10 days....sod's law πŸ˜‚.  I'll tell our next door neighbours they're welcome to help themselves (although I think they grow their own too), and the kitchen fitters as well.

I want to say a big thank you to all of my readers, especially the ones who take the trouble to leave comments, I really appreciate your support, you don't know how much it means to me, particularly when I'm feeling low and/or stressed.  Thank you πŸ’•

7 comments:

  1. I haven't tasted home grown carrots for years. I can taste them now, just thinking about them! You're so well organised. Could you give me a few lessons. I just don't seem to have the energy at the moment. Stuff gets done as and when, unless it's absolutely necessary. Oh, well, another joy of getting old!
    I'm sure the kitchen fitters will enjoy a few ripe tomatoes with their lunch. Hopefully, there'll be some left for you when you get back! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me to wonder if I can find some space for some carrots next year. Hmmm . . .
    And well done for dealing with everything so magnificently! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very fishy week coming up, it should be good. I do like to get to the bottom of the freezer drawers and have everything nice and clear. I think it's more the thought of having the chance to go out and choose all the refills for after though that makes me happy, rather than the thought of starving through lack of food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No bought produce tastes as good as home grown. Things these days are grown for size and shape, and are often tasteless. My parents, and my husband and I have always had a huge vegetable garden, you can't beat food straight from your own plot. The smell of a newly picked tomato, the taste of a fresh strawberry, shop bought doesn't even come close.
    You've done well considering your short time there. Have you considered getting a small allotment?
    Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to get the fridge/freezer almost empty now and then, and give it a really good clean - simple pleasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am considering going to our Farmer's Market in a couple of weeks and purchasing a couple of bags of things that for some reason did not grow this year to freeze for winter's use. You are doing very well with your garden this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left a comment on your other post and it wouldn't register so trying again.. good work on eating up your extras ready for the new kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.