Followers

Sunday, 6 December 2020

A better but ultimately sad day

 I felt much better this morning, after a lovely chat with my best friend last night.  Things are what they are, there's not much I can do to improve matters right now, that can only come with time.  So I just have to grin and bear it....or be miserable for weeks.

To answer a few comments....it turned out to be a bit of a misunderstanding between myself, friend and their spouse...friend assures me there's no problem with lifts, it's all fine.  Good, that's that out of the way.

I'm well aware that it's not practical for us to stay here, and husband's current incapacity has certainly brought that into sharp focus.  We've lived here, very happily, for more than 8 years - when we first moved here we were a long way off retirement, mobile and in very good health.  Perhaps we should have thought (a long way) ahead....hindsight is a wonderful thing!  We don't regret moving here though, it's lovely, especially in summer, and we've made some wonderful friends in this little hamlet.

Finding a new place is not going to be easy....quite difficult in fact, due to our personal circumstances (which I have no intention of talking about here).  Difficult is just that though, not impossible.  I'm sure something suitable will turn up in due course, I'm a firm believer both in fate and in making things happen, if you want something enough then you go out and get it!

And then the sad thing....a very dear friend of mine, a lovely lady I've known for several years, is terminally ill with spinal cancer which has spread.  I had a phone call today to say the end won't be long now, a week at most.  She's being well cared for at home by her lovely long term partner and daughter, with support from carers and Macmillan nurses, she is now unable to speak and is on intravenous morphine, so is hopefully not in pain.  I last spoke to her on the phone about a month ago, although weak she was as cheerful as ever...she's always been like that.  I'm very sad that I won't be able to see or speak to her again, or go to her funeral, but am glad I got to talk to her one last time.  And I'll always have very happy memories of her and her lovely man.  We've had so many deaths of close family and friends in the last 2 or 3 years.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend. At least you know she is well cared for and not in pain, but that only lessens the sadness a little, I know. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very thankful you were able to have such a helpful chat with your friend, also that you had a phone chat with your poorly friend. Sending you loving hugs and her too - virtual ones can be whatever you (the recipient) want them to be.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your friend. I am glad though that you got to speak to her when you did. I am sending you a gentle hug. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your friend and that with all thats going on you'll be unable to get to the funeral.
    I'm glad it was just a misunderstanding about the lifts. Hope your husband is healing well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that you managed to clear matters with your friend and so sorry about the sad news about the other friend. Never easy but must be doubly so now because of the current situation.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your friend, it good that you got to speak to her a few weeks ago, I remember you mentioning your phone call. It's such a shame that you won't be able to go to her funeral when it happens, so many people have, and are missing out on chances to say a final goodbye to loved ones through this dreadful year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got it ...not impossible and I to believe fate for things happening. Good luck to you on that front.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.