Some good news, for a change, and entirely unexpected.
As I've said before, I have a bladder problem caused by diabetic damage to nerve endings in my bladder (who knew such a thing was even a 'thing'? I didn't). I was supposed to have an operation to fix it in early November, but had to postpone it until mid December because of husband's foot operation - I wouldn't have been able to look after him and walk the dog, as my consultant said I will be incapacitated myself for a week or 2 afterwards. Then a couple of weeks later, I had a letter from the hospital saying they were having to postpone all non-urgent operations, including mine, for around 6 months due to the covid situation.
Now, I know my problem is neither life threatening nor urgent - but it does have a significant daily detrimental effect on my life, physically and emotionally. The news that I would have to put up with the problems for another 6 months or so I found very hard to cope with. Well, on Saturday when we came back from dog walking, there was a message on the answerphone for me to ring the hospital admissions office today. I did and the upshot is I'm going in for my op on 13 January...covid permitting, of course. I have to observe strict social distancing, hand washing etc (I always do anyway) from the 30 December, have a covid test on 10 January and self isolate from then until I go in for the op. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.
And I've just had a 25 minute phone assessment with the orthopaedic team re my hip, during which I had to answer a lot of questions and do a lot of precise movements, reporting back to the therapist on the range of movement and pain. It's very weird doing exercises by yourself in a phone call in your dining room! She confirmed the greater trochanteric pain syndrome diagnosis and is referring me for physiotherapy, which could take several weeks to get the first appointment. More waiting....oh well, I've had the hip pain for 2 years and put up with it, another few weeks won't make much difference. At least possible relief is on the cards in due course. If the physio doesn't work sufficiently, then they'll give me a steroid injection. Although she said it carries a risk of compromising my immune system (which is somewhat compromised anyway due to my diabetes and liver problems), so is something to think about. If the physio doesn't work then I will have the injection, 2 years of pain is more than enough.
I am happy for you that the surgery you need is set for January, rather than pushed back for six months. Also that you will be getting physio for your hip in a few weeks. How precious good news is. Merry Christmas early.
ReplyDeleteIts great when you realise you have not been abandoned. x
ReplyDeleteGood ...moving forward..has to make your mind ease a bit.
ReplyDeleteThat's great news. Having to have an op isn't nice, but if it has to be done, the sooner the better. And getting some physio for your hip has to be good too. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it helps enough for you not to need the steroid injection. In a year of bad news followed by more bad news, a little bit of good news shines out. xx
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't feel right to say that I am glad you are having an operation but I am sure you know what I mean. I do hope you are pain free ASAP. x
ReplyDeleteHope that will be the start of a better year for you. Fingers crossed your op goes ahead.
ReplyDeleteWonderful news. I am glad things are going ahead for you. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you have heard you can have the treatment you so need. As you say, it's so nice to have some good news and something to look forward to - not the treatment, as such, but how things will be afterwards.
ReplyDeletexx
Brilliant news that your operation has finally been scheduled, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it does actually go ahead. That phone consultation must have been really weird!!
ReplyDelete