Followers

Monday 11 October 2021

Another nice day

 It's a beautiful sunny and warm day again, it's going to be like this most of the week, very lucky for our friends from Kent who are down here on hols this week.  They're keen walkers (they do geocaching) so they'll have a lovely time being out every day, they think nothing of walking 6 or 8 miles at a stretch (we won't be doing that with them, a light stroll on the beach maybe!).  We're going out for lunch with them tomorrow, so the most walking we'll be doing is to the pub (which is next door to the caravan park), and then a little stroll around the park - as it's small, that won't take long πŸ˜‰

We actually have been out for a walk today - for the first time in ages, we went to our local lovely nature reserve, haven't been there for months.  I couldn't walk as far as I have in the past, and couldn't keep up with husband and Betty - I found a bench to sit on whilst they carried on.  It was so nice sitting in the sun and listening to the birds - and I even saw a stoat (or maybe a weasel?) pop out from the bushes and run across the path.  Behind me I could hear some kind of waterfowl in the stream, hidden by the thick swathes of bulrushes, and there were dozens and dozens of starlings on the pylon cables overhead.  It was really lovely.

Got the bed linen and towels out on the line this morning and made 2 cakes....Sue's marmalade cake, which husband has had a slice of and pronounced really nice, and a boiled fruit cake.  It's such an easy cake to make, the dried fruit is placed in a large saucepan with brown sugar, spice, water and butter and brought to the boil, then turned off and left to cool in the pan.  When cool, eggs, flour and baking powder are stirred in, then poured into a cake tin lined with parchment and baked for just over an hour.  I'll cut both cakes in half and freeze half, the other halves will be taken to the caravan tomorrow.

I've chopped up all the leftover veggies for our Bubble & Squeak tonight, now I'm off upstairs to sit in my bedroom recliner chair and read my book - husband is flicking through the TV again πŸ˜’.  I'm waiting for the osteopath to ring me back to arrange my appointment, she rang whilst we were out on our walk and left a message on the answerphone.

4 comments:

  1. The weather is certainly lovely at the moment. Long may it last - but I doubt it! Those cakes sound delicious, but if I made them, we'd eat them. Not good for the waistline! Hoping you get an early appointment with the osteopath, and she can help you. Enjoy the visit with your friends. I'm sure they'll love the caravan almost as much as you do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take the credit for the marmalade cake but I would have copied it from somewhere and I haven't made it for ages, so I;m glad it turned out OK

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were lucky to see that weasel/stoat I have only ever seen one once, it ran across the road in front of the car.
    Let's hope the osteopath gives you some relief.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful weather here too - and fingers crossed the osteopath rang back and you have a date arranged. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.