Followers

Wednesday 20 October 2021

Feeling better

 Thank you ladies for your kind words, it means a lot.  FB, welcome, and thank you for your suggestion to take the pain meds every 6 hours for 2 days at a time, that's a good idea and I might try that.  The hospital consultant also suggested, as well as the codeine, another couple of meds that she said may be useful - amitriptyline, which I've had before for back pain (it's an antidepressant, but in lower dosages is a good muscle relaxant and has the added bonus of making you sleepy, so a good one to take at night), and one I've not heard of before, gabapentin.  Apparently, it's for epilepsy but, like the amitriptyline, can also be used for other purposes, in this case nerve pain.  I shall discuss these with the GP when I speak to him in a day or two.

As I was feeling so down and the pain was really bothering me this morning, I suggested to husband that we go out for lunch at our favourite garden centre, so we did.  Had frittata and salad with a massive pile of chips which I only ate a couple of, they really weren't necessary, the salad was huge as well.  And then we looked around the Christmas display, which was lovely, really took my mind off things.  Husband bought me a couple of nice tree decorations (oh, did I mention I actually bought a Christmas tree last week?) and a box of the new Lindt salted caramel chocolates, to be put away for my birthday next month.  He also told me to choose a few more tree decs (there's a Christmas craft fair on Saturday) and he'll pay for them.

Having seen and been thoroughly checked out by the GP, and then going to hospital, I can honestly say, and with gratitude, that every single medical person I came into contact with yesterday, was unfailingly helpful, kind and extremely cheerful.  Yes, there was a lot of waiting around, especially at the hospital, but people came to check on me regularly (I was in a wheelchair the whole time, because of the possibility of this serious spinal emergency, the cauda thingy).  We are so lucky to have our NHS, despite the problems it has.  

I'm also very grateful that I had the MRI so quickly - not only for ruling out the serious thing, but also because it diagnosed my prolapsed disc.  I feel kind of vindicated, if you understand what I mean - I was beginning to feel that people around me had little sympathy for me, thinking 'oh why's she moaning about a bit of back pain, everyone gets backache occasionally!'.  Well, there's a genuine reason why I'm in so much pain - and it's not even the first time I've had a prolapsed disc.  Hopefully though, medical stuff has advanced since my first one 42 years ago, and I'm hopeful that a combination of the appropriate medication, and the osteopathy I shall be having soon, will sort it out this time.  It would be so nice to be pain free, or at least for it to be manageable.


9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I was prescribed amitriptyline years ago, for trigeminal neuralgia. It took a few days to work, but the relief was tremendous! Hope it works for you. I agree, the NHS, despite its problems and a few bad apples, is wonderful. We are so lucky in this country to have it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amitriptyline has lots of uses and is very good for nerve sensations - I use it for horrible prickly legs called restless legs which is something that is common but is very uncomfortable especially when in bed. Worth a try - I've never had side effects with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. re gabapentin, our vet, when proscribing it for our dog, said it was the only thing that had really worked when he had had a ruptured disc a few years before. Hope it helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amitriptyline has one side effect that most people wont want. Weight gain. I was on it years ago and gained 25lbs in less than a month.

    Guiafenesen is an expectorant with the added bonus of helping relax back muscles. I had severe back pain, couldn't even put my socks on holiday in Prague. A pharmacist got me to try it and to my amazement it worked. I kept telling myself that I didn't need a decongestant but oh, my back stopped hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are feeling a bit better. I hope that everything gets much less painful with the help of your doctors.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really glad you are getting the medical attention you need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so relieved that things are looking up and your visit to the garden centre sounds just the ticket.
    I think 'vindicated' is just the right word and also relieved that something is being done about it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers
    Excited to hear about your Christmas decorations….

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vindicated is a good word and it's sad that it sometimes takes professional proof for people to believe you really are in THAT much pain.

    I'm glad you're feeling better today and the visit to the garden centre sounds like just the right tonic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comments, however please note that rude ones won't be published. Nor will anonymous ones now.