Followers

Wednesday, 29 September 2021

A big shop (and opening husband's eyes!)

 We're back to the caravan this afternoon, once Betty's back from the groomers, having had her bath and brush out of all the loose hairs (she moults constantly) and claws clipped.  We're only staying a few days this time though, back early next week probably.  We'll have to nip home Saturday morning, as we have our flu jabs booked.  We've not really had bad reactions to flu jabs in the past, other than a bit of a sore arm, so hopefully we won't this time either.  Our van neighbours (two sets) are both going home early next week and won't be coming back till next year.....we've got on so well with them throughout this summer that we'll miss them for the next few months, as much as the caravan 😕

Went shopping yesterday morning and got fuel on the way (we last put fuel in about 10 days ago) - the first garage we came to had petrol (no diesel, but our car is petrol anyway) and hardly anyone queueing, no limit on fuel purchase either.  So husband filled up (we were on 1/3 of a tank), this will last us at least a fortnight, more if we don't make unnecessary journeys.  We passed Morrisons on the way, there were queues for fuel there.....Sainsburys where we shopped had closed the garage as they were out of fuel altogether.  What a ridiculous situation, all caused by the media's totally irresponsible reporting, publishing pictures of huge queues and people fighting at fuel stations.  They'll do anything to sell papers!  And then it causes idiots to panic buy.

Husband came into the supermarket with me, for the first time in ages....he was very surprised to see so many shelves with big gaps, and positively shocked at how prices have risen.  I've been telling him for ages how much food has gone up in price, I reckon he's been thinking I've been splashing the cash left, right and centre on frivolous things (he always asks how much it cost and exclaims how much?!).  Well, now he knows I haven't!!  In view of the fuel situation, I did do a big shop, stocking up on meat and fish for the freezer, and tinned/packet stuff for the larder, so won't need to go shopping for 2 or 3 weeks.  I've got plenty of milk, bread and veg in the freezer too - frozen veg isn't as nice as fresh, obviously, but it'll do, it's just as nutritious, and there are ways of making them taste better.  I've found out that roasting frozen Brussels sprouts is much better than boiling them, frozen baby carrots taste nice cooked in just a very little water with a big knob of butter, tsp honey and some fresh parsley, e.g.  And frozen cauli and broccoli, boiled then pureed and mixed with cream and soft cheese make lovely sauces to stir through pasta.

I did some baking yesterday afternoon, to use up some bits and pieces in the freezer - a sheet of puff pastry, some sliced apples from our garden, and a small amount each of Mediterranean roast veggies and some pulled pork in bbq sauce.  I made 2 apple turnovers, and 2 pasties using the combined veg and pulled pork, with a bit of grated cheese added.  Easy things to take to the caravan.

6 comments:

  1. Luckily, we filled up the car the day before all this kicked off. The garage near us (which was always dearer than anywhere else) has hiked their prices. They're now 11p a litre dearer than Tesco. Still queues there, though! It's a shame you won't see the neighbours until next year, but just think of the fun time you'll have catching up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very glad his eyes have been opened because it's not going to get any better and you can do without the criticism!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some nice tasty sounding food tips there Sooze. I will try roasting the frozen sprouts next time Iwant some for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad he came in with you and now he will remember for a week or two how high the prices are, then like all men he's be back to 'How much?' all over again ... gosh I'm getting cynical in my old age :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and frozen carrots roasted are good too, add them to your tray of Brussels, topping them with a sprinkle of garlic or onion powder ... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband also had a hard time believing the price increases here as well until I showed him the cost of meat and he came into Costco with me. I did a very big shop as well and hope to be staying out of the stores at least until our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend when I will need to get salad fixings and probably milk for while the sons are home.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.