Followers

Saturday, 11 September 2021

Mostly Betty stuff

 Been busy making dog food today, amongst other jobs.  Went to the big pet store this morning to get some more frozen mince....instead of the minced chicken I normally buy, I got a big bag of minced beef and another of frozen white fish cubes (Betty loves fish).  I also scrutinised all the bags of kibble, and bought one that's both grain and chicken free.  I cooked up a big panful of the minced beef - it's actually meant for giving to the dogs raw but, oddly enough, Betty isn't that keen on raw meat, she definitely prefers it cooked.  I also cooked a half butternut squash that was left over from a meal we had the other day, and some frozen broccoli, and mashed the two together.  I've portioned up the beef and veg (it's made 6 double portion meals) and frozen most of them....I'll give Betty one portion with a small handful of kibble one day, then alternate the next day with a bought grain & chicken free tray meal.  I'll do that for a fortnight or so and see how she gets on with it and whether it has any positive effect on her ear problems and general itchiness.

Last night I gave her an antihistamine tablet - she slept through virtually the whole night on my bed, wasn't at all restless and didn't wake up scratching several times during the night like she normally does.  So that's a result!

Lola's Mum (another new commenter, welcome), you mentioned Thornit powder.  I googled it, seems it's for ear canker/mites and comes highly recommended by breeders and even some vets.  Betty's had her ears swabbed and tested, she doesn't have mites, it's an overgrowth of a yeast infection.  But thank you, I'll keep it in mind.

I'm having to write lists for this coming week - as we're going to be spending time both at the caravan and home during the week, with Betty and me at the van alone Sunday and possibly Monday night and husband at home, then we're all at home Tuesday night, then back to the caravan Wednesday afternoon.  It's all a bit confusing (well, it is for me, and husband certainly won't know whether he's coming or going), and I have to plan meals to take with us, make sure husband has food for his days home alone and milk for his and the electrician's teas.  At least now I've made all those ready meals, I won't have to do any actual cooking for a fortnight or so if I don't want to.  During the next fortnight when we're at the van, we're going to have a few days out - weather permitting, it'll be nice to finally do a few touristy things now most of the van work is finished.  We'll also be cleaning out the van gutters (well, husband will be, I'll be holding the ladder) and washing the outside van walls down, and clearing the messy bank area at the back.

Husband's sister, brother and sis in law said that next year they're going to book a holiday place near to our caravan, so all of us can get together for bbqs and do all the touristy things together.  That'll be fabulous, we're all looking forward to that.

My rotary washing line broke yesterday, bought a new one but the blimmin ground pole is a bigger size and didn't fit in the existing hole - why can't things like that be one standard size?!  So husband has had to enlarge the hole - not as easy as it sounds, it took him a while, so I had to tumble dry the washing.  Ah well, it's done now, and seeing as we're not at home at least half the time nowadays but at the van, we're not using as much electricity at home.

I'm nodding off over my laptop now, run out of energy again so am off upstairs for an old lady nap.  I'll leave you with a photo of my lovely Betty.


She'd just come back from the groomers, they put a pink bow on her collar (she wasn't impressed).

And one of the gorgeous rose bush my friend got for me:-



3 comments:

  1. Let's hope the change of Betty's diet works.🤞 I'm not surprised you're having to make lists. I wouldn't know where I was supposed to be and when, with that itinerary! What fun to look forward to next year - and the days are whizzing by so quickly, next year will soon be here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for Betty and the diet changes and I am glad the tablet had such a positive effect.
    I love the plans you are making for next year - something to look forward to over the colder, darker months ahead. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for giving the 'test' diet for Betty a try. I can't give you any brand suggestions as I'm in Vermont, US but it does seem that you have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Hope it works for Betty!

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.