Followers

Monday, 27 September 2021

Migraine

 I've had a migraine the past couple of days, it floored me.  I used to get migraines a lot during my teens/20s (lots of stressful things going on then)....they tailed off though and nowadays I hardly ever get them, just on rare occasions.  They usually only last a few hours, a day at most.  This one, though, started on Saturday afternoon and raged on until now - I woke up around 5 am to torrential rain and thought thank goodness, the searing pain is gone, it's just a manageable dull pain now.  It's one of the worst I've ever had, the pain was ferocious, the slightest hint of light or noise was excruciating, I felt dizzy if I moved at all, and very nauseous, light and noise were agonising.  Spent most of the time lying on the bed with the curtains and door closed and a cold wet flannel on my head.  After 3 doses of co-codamol I gave up taking any more tablets, they just weren't touching the pain at all.  The only thing I could do was lie perfectly still and try to do relaxing breathing techniques (not easy when every muscle in your face, scalp, neck and shoulders seems clenched impossibly tightly).

The searing pain may have tailed off to a dull ache, except for a thudding pain when I bend over, but I'm left feeling absolutely wrung out, like a limp rag.  I'm guessing the migraine was down to the stress and tension of the past few weeks - not only the family stuff, but other things going on too.  I've been bottling it all up and trying to put it out of my mind - obviously it's got to come out somewhere though.  I've also had trouble with blocked sinuses for the past few days, so that's not helped I don't think.

We're going home today, I just want to be home whilst I'm not feeling like doing anything much.  And we're running out of food here at the van, we'd have to go shopping today if we stayed and I really don't feel like doing that.  At home though, we've got a well stocked freezer and cupboards so I wouldn't need to go shopping for a few days at least, except for some fresh veg which husband could go and get.  I don't know when we'll be back here to the van, it depends on how I feel, and the weather to some extent.  And also whether/when husband finally has his long awaited prostate op appointment (he's been waiting for this op for 2 years).

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sooze, I've never had a migraine, so can't begin to imagine the pain, although I do have regular sinusitis so know that one! I hope by now, you're feeling a bit better. I know it's useless me saying try to relax - when your wound up and stressed, relaxing is impossible. But I hope you are able to ease up slightly on the stress. And I hope Hubby gets his prostrate op soon - that must be causing you both anxiety, too. Sending hugs to you. 🫂 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! I get them regularly - a family thing which I have inherited! - and now I am prescribed Sumatriptan, my wonder drug. At the first sign I pop one and it usually goes away. Wipes me out a bit but that is infinitely better than the true agony of the migraine. The last one which Sumatriptan didn't work on was so bad I was on my knees and elbows holding my head in my hands, rocking. An awful 9 hours! Home is certainly the best place to be when poorly. I hope everything is back to normal now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sooze, how rotten for you. The sinuses bright their own pain and will likely have made it all a lot worse and yes, I think you're right about the stress thing.
    I'm glad you are now able to rest at home - please do take care and not do anything unless you have no other option. Lots of love.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom used to suffer from Migraine's but once he stopped working they disappeared. I think you are right, they are mostly caused by stress. Hope you feel better soon,
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.