It's Mothering Sunday here in the UK, obviously I think about my Mum a lot, but she's on my mind very much today. I miss chatting to her on the phone, she was so wise and funny.....unintentionally funny a lot of the time.
I've never had children - by choice, I don't have a maternal bone in my body - husband has 3 grown up children from his first marriage. Husband comes from a very big family - 10 children altogether, the youngest one being adopted! (but then when you already have so many kids I guess another one doesn't make a lot of difference) - when I first met husband's parents, one of the first things my future FiL asked was if husband (future husband!) was going to have his vasectomy reversed?! (Husband had the snip after his 3rd child was born). NO, I said firmly, much to FiL's surprise, several of husband's siblings also have large families. We had (briefly) discussed having children - after I said I didn't want any, husband said he was relieved as he didn't think he'd like to go through all that again at his age (30! But he had his children when he was very young, 17 when the first was born). We only have contact with his youngest child (no, I have no intention of going into that), but she and I have a very good relationship, she calls me by my first name, at my request, as I said right from the start that I didn't intend to be a second mother, as they already had a perfectly good one.
So Mothers Day doesn't really apply to me, other than being a reminder of the loss of my Mother just over 3 years ago (3 years and almost 3 months, to be precise, having lost her on Christmas Eve 2019), husband's mother died about 7 years ago. But I am feeling a bit melancholy and missing Mum today, so as it's a lovely sunny day, we're going out for a drive, taking Betty with us of course.
Happy Mothers Day to all you wonderful Mums out there, and sending wishes for happy memories to those who have lost their Mums (Joy in particular x).
You might not have any babies of your own but I'm Sure you were a sweetheart to your husband's children...I lost my Mom in 1996...during heart surgery. So many things left unsaid...
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the Day sweet friend!
hugs
Donna
Bless you, Sooze, thank you. I deliberately didn't mention Mum in my blog today but there's a painful ache inside as I am sure you understand. Thinking of you with love. xxx
ReplyDeleteIt's true, you never stop missing your mum.
ReplyDeleteYou are a mother to Betty Sooze, after all she would be lost without her Mum. Briony
ReplyDeletex
Thank you, Sooze. As Donna said, you may not have children of your own, but you have acted with motherliness (is that a word?) to your husband's children, so it's your day too! Enjoy the sunshine and the drive. xx
ReplyDelete