Followers

Monday, 27 March 2023

Better

 We had a lovely time at the caravan on Saturday, the weather was dry and sunny, albeit with a strong cold wind.  None of our friends there, although there were a few more owners.  The park, as I think I've mentioned before, is divided into 2 halves - the upper level (where our van is) and the lower level, they're bisected by the site drive.  There were no fellow owners on our upper level, but around half a dozen owners on the lower level.  It's not a case of ne'er the twain shall meet, but we do tend to mix mainly in our respective 'levels'.....it's more a purely geographical thing really, the vans on the upper level are all closer geographically to each other, and vice versa for the lower level.  We know nearly everyone on the upper level by name, but the ones on the lower level we mostly only know by sight, just passing the time of day when we pass them on site.  So we had a peaceful relaxing time - I read my book pretty much all day, other than heating up the pasties for lunch in the air fryer and making a few coffees.  Husband cut the grass around our van, took Betty for a walk and then relaxed watching TV.  I had a couple of brief chats with one of the lower level owners, and the site owner.  We picked up a takeaway from KFC on the way home (a rarity, can't remember the last time we had one) so I didn't even have to cook anything when we got home.....not that I actually cook much on a Saturday evening anyway, it's usually something out of the freezer heated up in the AF.

Sunday seemed to speed by.  I got up an hour later than usual, but seeing as the clocks went forward it was actually the same time as usual really.....just before 0700, but 0600 if the bloody clock hadn't had to go forward.  Husband said he'd change the clocks Saturday night.....I should have known better than to let him do it, he put most of them back an hour instead of forwards.  Although, somehow, he managed to put his own bedroom clock forward!  He also tried to alter the clock in the car but failed dismally.  Later on, he buggered up the TV by fiddling with it, trying to alter something or other on it and only succeeded in somehow switching it off and it refused to turn back on for several minutes.  This happened just as a programme I actually wanted to watch, the new David Attenborough wildlife thing, was coming on.  Sigh.  I missed the first 10 minutes of it, but no matter.

We went to our friends for a coffee and catch up late Sunday morning, it was lovely to see them again, it's been a while.

Betty's going to the groomers this morning, thankfully - she smells like she's rolled in something.  I do miss her whilst she's there, the house seems too quiet without my little shadow - she follows me everywhere around the house.  Nothing much on this week, so I may do some more sorting.  

I've been giving the whole new house thing some more thought.....that bungalow that we liked the look of so much and which ticks all our requirements boxes so I put in a bid for it, is probably going to be a No, if we do actually get offered it.  It is possible that we might yet be - several people have been offered it so far and all have apparently declined, a few others have dropped off the list so our eligibility ranking for it has moved up quite a bit.  However, the fact that it's so far away from here where we know everyone and have plenty of support if necessary, and we'd be moving into uncharted waters knowing no-one if we did move to the new place, has been causing me some worry.  It may be perfect in terms of the actual bungalow and facilities in the village, but moving so far away does scare me a bit.  Well, a lot actually.  If our name does get to the top of the list though, I think we will still go and have a look inside the place, just out of sheer curiosity!

Thankfully husband's memory assessment tests are getting nearer - it's next week.  I've got butterflies in my stomach (as has husband, I know), the thought of what the outcome might be is potentially terrifying, but at least we'll know.  And once we know, we can start to deal with it.  I just hope the appointment doesn't get cancelled and pushed back, like several of our medical appointments have recently, it seems to be a common thing now.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad your time at the caravan worked its magic. You sound less stressed, even if things are still stressful. I hate it when the clocks go forward/backwards. I really can't see the reasoning behind it. After a couple of weeks, the mornings/evenings are lighter anyway, and there's still the same number of hours of daylight, whatever the clock says! I know what you mean about moving away from people and places you know. Still, if you do get offered the bungalow, it would be worth taking a look, and you never know, you might meet some friendly neighbours. I hope the memory assessment isn't delayed. You don't need any more worry. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved to an area 14 years ago and knew no one, but because it's has a village vibes, so many people said hello and we settled quickly, I would suggest go for the property you need and the rest will slot in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely take a look at the bungalow. It might be perfect for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we changed countries and lifestyles and the move went exceptionally well. Living on our cul-de-sac we soon got to know the neighbours well and they are a great bunch, as are all the townsfolk that we meet, so I really wouldn't worry too much about possible new locations.
    They do say people who say they have good neighbours will always have good neighbours because it proves that you are one yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sooze, please check with the housing people before you bid. Here, we can only refuse 3 properties before being sent to the bottom of the list or even removed and have to apply to join again. I know housing authorities vary from area to area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't understand all the waiting to be okayed to even give a bid on a home? Here, in the States, if we see a house we'd like to buy, we simply put in our offer and the owner (if a used house) accepts or denies. We can call them directly...no housing authority. Now, if it's Government housing, there Are list...Is this what you are doing? There's no list...On a new house, we call the builder or owner...tell them we want it...go to the bank...put a downpayment on it...get a mortgage and it's ours. Different countries, different rules.
    Good luck with the area you want to be in!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not buying a place Donna, we'd be renting it. Here it's called Social Housing and is managed by the Local Authority (or Councils as they used to be called) in each county. Putting in a bid doesn't involve any money changing hands, it's just an expression of interest in the property.....kind of like us saying to the Council 'Yes we like this home, please may our names be put on the list of candidates?'. Hope that explains it.

      Delete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.