Followers

Saturday, 18 March 2023

Getting on

 Just minutes after we got home from the caravan yesterday afternoon, husband had a phone call from the memory assessment clinic.  A clinician is coming to our home to assess him and do a series of tests on the 6 April, so just under 3 weeks from now.  She asked that I be there too, to give my perspective and fill in any blanks, which of course I will be.  So at least we have an appointment date now.  Coincidentally, on that same date I was supposed to have a physio appointment, which was subsequently cancelled by them - if it had still been on I would have cancelled it anyway, husband's appointment is more important.

We had a lovely restful few hours at the caravan.  Still not many more flowers coming out, although I did notice the roses in pots are all showing lots of leaf growth now.  There was nobody else there, apart from the same guy in his touring van down the bottom end of the site - he appears to live in his touring van on site for the whole of the open season.  I checked back - this exact time last year we stayed over for our first long weekend of the season, and the weather was beautiful apparently.  There were also a lot more flowers out, so clearly early Spring was much warmer last year.  I think we're unlikely to stay there overnight until the end of the month/early April, looking at the unsettled weather forecast.  At least it wasn't so cold in the van as it was on the 1st March - we put the electric fire on for half an hour when we first got there, just to take any chill off, but it was absolutely fine after that.

I've lost focus a bit recently (things on my mind), but am going to change that.  From Monday we're going to start decluttering/packing again properly.....I'm going to spend this weekend planning what needs doing and making lists, I'll get husband involved too.  I'm also going to knuckle down to some serious saving, I want to add as much to our new home moving fund as possible.  The two Sues (A smaller and simpler life and Sue in Suffolk) have inspired me to make the most of the foodstuffs we already have (and we have a lot, especially in the larder cupboards) and to cut down on shopping, only getting fresh stuff when we really need it.  I'm going to make more use of frozen (or even tinned) veg, rather than going out to buy fresh veg a couple of times a week.

I've been feeling a bit lost in recent weeks and getting overwhelmed again - when all decisions, choices and actions are all down to me, it is hard - well, I find it so.  I sometimes feel like there's just too much going on and only me to cope with it all.  I feel close to a breakdown sometimes, but the knowledge that I can't have one - because we'd be in big trouble if I did as husband couldn't cope - weighs heavily on me at times, it's a big responsibility.  But I just have to put on my big girl's pants and get on with things.

12 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you've got a date for the memory test, even if it's not imminent. I think (hope) Spring has finally sprung. It was quite mild yesterday and I managed to get in the garden for a few hours. You've had a lot on your plate lately, so it's no wonder you've lost focus. Just do a little when you feel like, and don't beat yourself up if you don't! Making life as easy as possible is good. Nothing wrong with tinned or frozen veg, and so much less hassle than prepping fresh. You're coping with all the stress really well, from what I can see. Take time out just for you whenever you can and B.R.E.A.T.H.E! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K, you know how much I appreciate it xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'm amazed that the memory clinic clinician is coming to your house, my husband had to do his memory assessment by video call, with me sitting next to him and doing the 'techy' bits!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Video call wasn't even suggested, which is just as well as our wifi is so crap a video call wouldn't work, the signal just keeps dropping out!

      Delete
  3. It's so easy to feel overwhelmed when there are constantly decisions to be made, appointments to juggle, etc. along with the general looking after of home and hubby. Having to try and keep on top of everything is very wearing and the brain gets filled with so much clutter. Not easy to relax in the middle of it all but time spent at the caravan seems to be the place to go. I wouldn't let the weather put you off from staying there for a few days at a time - the caravan has withstood rain and winds for a long time, so try to accept that you will be perfectly safe there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly all of what you said. As for staying at the van, yes each new season I am constantly surprised that our very old van has again withstood the winter with no nasty surprises. However, there are other considerations....if no other owners were there for husband to talk to, and it was raining, he'd get very bored.

      Delete
  4. I'm pleased that you've got a definite date for the assessment now, and not too far away either.

    The 'two Sue's' ... gosh we sound ominous, haha. It's a good idea to whittle down your food stash though, every single time we've moved house I have ended up with a full car load of food to pack, transport and unpack, it's just a waste of time and space. Eat up what you have and then stay minimal for a while, just buying fresh stuff regularly and it will be much easier. I must remember this myself for next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes good idea, I'll try and run down our stocks. But 'next time'?!?! - thinking of moving again, Sue? :-O

      Delete
  5. Glad you're getting some rest at the park. Not many flowers here either.
    Glad the appointment is scheduled!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs. Glad you had a lovely day. The Sues are smart ladies. I am glad you have the appointment scheduled. No flowers at all here, just more snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find a good nap now and then , no matter how much I have to do, works wonders for me.
    With you making all the decisions we all know they will be the right ones. :) You have all the facts and can keep them straight , makes decision making easier. I am super proud at how well you are holding it together. Hugs from here .
    We have daffodils blooming here in the US right now in Southern Indiana. Forsythia bushes blooming too. A lot of yellow out there right now...may have flurries tonight .

    ReplyDelete

If yours is an Anonymous account, please give a name. Comments without a name will not be published. Thank you.